Thursday, January 29, 2009

GAAA - Ginger Smith square finished!

Here is the 3rd square of the Great American Aran Afghan (GAAA). Finished on Wednesday, January 28th. This is a slightly modified version. The original called for stitching each section in columns then picking up stitches and knitting the next column. I hate picking up stitches and that method didn't appeal to me! So, I decided to stitch all at once and where the stitches were supposed to be picked up and knit together with the next column I did a twist stitch with moss stitch in between. This made this square a very quick stitch, much quicker than doing it the original way I'm sure.

Monday, January 26, 2009

Finished square #2

This is the Hanna Burns square. I think it's also called the "DNA Square!" Interesting pattern to do and not too hard. Finished this square on Saturday, January 24th.
I'm now working on the Ginger Smith square, which got off to a rocky start! Once I figured it out it's not too difficult. I'm making modifications from the original which took some working out. Will explain more when I've finished it.
Also working on Morioka's square which I started when I got disgusted with Ginger Smith!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

First GAAA Square

Here is my first completed square of the GAAA (Great American Aran Afghan). It is by Barbara McIntire. I chose a simple one for my first, or so I thought. I had it all finished and then noticed one of the cables was crossed the wrong way! Thankfully it was only about 10 rows down and so I ripped and re-knit. Hopefully this one is correct. If not, so be it, LOL!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Great American Aran Afghan

This is my next knitting project. It's the Great American Aran Afghan, or GAAA for short. It's a collaboration of 20+ designers who each designed a square. I'm knitting this in the Plymouth yarn recommended and will post a picture of each square here as I finish it. The first one I've almost finished, it's by Barbara McIntire and one of the easy ones! I actually finished it but then noticed an error (cable crossing the wrong way) but luckily it was only a few rows down and so I pulled back and will have it finished tonight hopefully.

Updating the Blog!

Well, as you can tell, it's been a long, long time since I've updated this blog. This is primarily because this is a stitching blog and I haven't been doing any stitching to report on. I still haven't done much stitching but I have been knitting. So, I guess this is going to become a stitching and knitting blog.

I have finished a knitting project! I've been working on a knitted afghan for years, too many to even think about! It was a UFO for quite a long time. I'd pull it out, knit until I'd finished a panel and then put it up again. Well, then I became involved in wanting to do the Great American Aran Afghan (GAAA) and I was determined that I couldn't start that until I'd finished the UFO afghan. So, here it is! Finished at last. It's knitted in 5 panels. There is a knit stitch at each end of every row and so when it's sewn together you can hardly tell and it looks like one piece.

I'm really very pleased with the way it turned out. The yarn is just a basic acrylic/dacron that I bought from Target years ago, do they even sell yarn any more!