A place to show what's going on in my stitching life
Monday, March 16, 2009
Here's the Belanger square, my 6th one. This was a nice quick stitch and very easy. This square is unblocked at the moment. This is the first one that knit up exactly 12" x 12" without blocking. Now to decide which one to do next!
Finished the 5th square of the afghan. I left this on hold while I went to England and finished it up over the weekend. Pretty easy knit and I just did twisted stitches without the cable needle for the 1/1 twists. Seeing as there are six of these every other row this saved a lot of fiddling with the cable needle.
I'm going to England on Friday to visit with my mother and will be gone for two weeks, so the blog won't be updated with new squares until I get back!
I've almost finished the Dana Hurt square but I don't think it will be finished before I leave. I'm not taking this project with me. I've bought some Wool of the Andes from KnitPicks and I'm going to knit a couple of cable scarves, something easier to follow than GAAA!
Will update the blog again at the beginning of March.
Finished the 4th square last night (Feb. 2nd). Had a couple of false starts with this one. I messed up the yarn overs and ended up with a mistake I didn't notice for a few rows. I tried to fix it but it wouldn't have it so I ripped it back, probably about 10 rows. Anyway, after that it went pretty quickly.
This square would have ended up much too long if I'd done all the rows it called for. I cut it short by about 1/2 a repeat (10 rows) and it blocked perfectly to a 12" square
Here is the 3rd square of the Great American Aran Afghan (GAAA). Finished on Wednesday, January 28th. This is a slightly modified version. The original called for stitching each section in columns then picking up stitches and knitting the next column. I hate picking up stitches and that method didn't appeal to me! So, I decided to stitch all at once and where the stitches were supposed to be picked up and knit together with the next column I did a twist stitch with moss stitch in between. This made this square a very quick stitch, much quicker than doing it the original way I'm sure.
This is the Hanna Burns square. I think it's also called the "DNA Square!" Interesting pattern to do and not too hard. Finished this square on Saturday, January 24th. I'm now working on the Ginger Smith square, which got off to a rocky start! Once I figured it out it's not too difficult. I'm making modifications from the original which took some working out. Will explain more when I've finished it. Also working on Morioka's square which I started when I got disgusted with Ginger Smith!
Here is my first completed square of the GAAA (Great American Aran Afghan). It is by Barbara McIntire. I chose a simple one for my first, or so I thought. I had it all finished and then noticed one of the cables was crossed the wrong way! Thankfully it was only about 10 rows down and so I ripped and re-knit. Hopefully this one is correct. If not, so be it, LOL!
This is my next knitting project. It's the Great American Aran Afghan, or GAAA for short. It's a collaboration of 20+ designers who each designed a square. I'm knitting this in the Plymouth yarn recommended and will post a picture of each square here as I finish it. The first one I've almost finished, it's by Barbara McIntire and one of the easy ones! I actually finished it but then noticed an error (cable crossing the wrong way) but luckily it was only a few rows down and so I pulled back and will have it finished tonight hopefully.
Well, as you can tell, it's been a long, long time since I've updated this blog. This is primarily because this is a stitching blog and I haven't been doing any stitching to report on. I still haven't done much stitching but I have been knitting. So, I guess this is going to become a stitching and knitting blog.
I have finished a knitting project! I've been working on a knitted afghan for years, too many to even think about! It was a UFO for quite a long time. I'd pull it out, knit until I'd finished a panel and then put it up again. Well, then I became involved in wanting to do the Great American Aran Afghan (GAAA) and I was determined that I couldn't start that until I'd finished the UFO afghan. So, here it is! Finished at last. It's knitted in 5 panels. There is a knit stitch at each end of every row and so when it's sewn together you can hardly tell and it looks like one piece.
I'm really very pleased with the way it turned out. The yarn is just a basic acrylic/dacron that I bought from Target years ago, do they even sell yarn any more!
I'm originally from England and my husband and I now live in Arkansas, we've been here in the USA since 1975, and in Arkansas since December 2000. I became an American citizen on June 9, 2008. I learned to do needlework as a young girl and have never lost interest. I always have something on the go; cross stitch, Hardanger, knitting, crochet, something to do with a needle!
I'm a mother to two grown sons, one living in the USA and the other in London, England. I'm also Nana to two girls. I retired on December 31, 2016, and so I now have more time to donate towards my needlework pursuits.